Supplemental Education Services

The Vermont Agency of Education (VTAOE) announced it’s Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) findings in August 2014. Hazen Union School did not make AYP in Math and Reading for all students and is now in year 1 Corrective Action.

Hazen Union School is classified as a Title 1 school. Once a Title I school moves into Year 2 School Improvement, it must begin to offer Supplemental Educational Services (SES), dedicate appropriate resources and funds, and continue to offer them until the school makes AYP for two consecutive years and exits school improvement.

Supplemental Educational Services are additional academic instruction outside the school day or during the summer, are free of charge, and are available to students who are eligible for free and reduced lunch that are enrolled in a Title 1 school. SES is designed to increase the academic achievement of students in schools in the second year of School Improvement, in Corrective Action, or Restructuring. These services must be consistent with content and instruction used by the local educational agency (LEA) and aligned with the Common Core State Standards(CCSS) and Vermont Grade Equivalents (GEs). SES must be high quality, research-based, and specifically designed to increase student academic achievement.

Below you will find an application if you would like your child to receive SES services, and a list of SES providers. Additionally, a list of approved providers by the VTAOE can be found at: The deadline for the application is November 1, 2014.

If you have any questions regarding AYP or SES please contact us at your earliest convenience.


Jack McCarthy John C. Craig

Interim Principal Associate Principal

SES Application